Assistant Professor, Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (WIAS)
Office (Noda-Hanada group): Room 607, Building 55-S, Nishiwaseda Campus, Waseda University
Address: 3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
Bachelor of Engineering, Department of Chemical System Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Master of Engineering, Department of Chemical System Engineering, The University of Tokyo
PhD, Department of Chemical System Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Apr. 2009 - Mar. 2010
Research Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS, DC2)
Apr. 2010 - Mar. 2012
Showa Denko K.K., Theme: R&D of Hard Disk Media
Apr. 2012 - Mar. 2014
Research Associate in University of Cambridge
Apr. 2014 - Mar. 2016
Research Fellow of the JSPS in University of Cambridge
Apr. 2016 - present
Assistant Professor of Waseda Institute for Advanced Study
(40) S. Akiba, M. Kosaka, K. Ohashi, K. Hasegawa, H. Sugime, S. Noda*,
"Direct formation of continuous multilayer graphene films with controllable thickness on dielectric substrates," Thin Solid Filmsaccepted (2019).
(39) Y. Nagai, H. Sugime, and S. Noda*,
"1.5 Minute-synthesis of continuous graphene films by chemical vapor deposition on Cu foils rolled in three dimensions," Chem. Eng. Sci.accepted (2019).
(38) H. Sugime*, T. Ushiyama, K. Nishimura, Y. Ohno, and S. Noda,
"An interdigitated electrode with dense carbon nanotube forests on conductive supports for electrochemical biosensors," Analyst143, 3635-3642 (2018). DOI:10.1039/C8AN00528A
Interdigitated electrode with dense carbon nanotube forests on conductive supports.
(37) S. Okada, H. Sugime, K. Hasegawa, T. Osawa, S. Kataoka, H. Sugiura, and S. Noda*,
"Flame-assisted chemical vapor deposition for continuous gas-phase synthesis of 1-nm-diameter single-wall carbon nanotubes," Carbon138, 1-7 (2018). DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2018.05.060
(36) T. Sato, H. Sugime, and S. Noda*,
"CO2-assisted growth of millimeter-tall single-wall carbon nanotube arrays and its advantage against H2O for large-scale and uniform synthesis," Carbon136, 143-149 (2018). DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2018.04.060
(35) S. Miura, Y. Yoshihara, M. Asaka, K. Hasegawa, H. Sugime, A. Ota, H. Oshima, and S. Noda*,
(24) H. Sugime*, S. Esconjauregui, L. D'Arsié, J. Yang, A.W. Robertson, R.A. Oliver, S. Bhardwaj, C. Cepek, and J. Robertson,
"Low temperature growth of carbon nanotube forests consisting of tubes with narrow inner spacing using Co/Al/Mo catalyst on conductive supports," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces7 (30), 16819-16827 (2015). DOI:10.1021/acsami.5b04846
A novel catalyst design with a partial barrier layer for the growth of dense CNT forests
(23) J. Yang, S. Esconjauregui*, A.W. Robertson, Y. Guo, T. Hallam, H. Sugime, G. Zhong, G.S. Duesberg, and J. Robertson,
"Growth of high-density carbon nanotube forests on conductive TiSiN supports," Appl. Phys. Lett.106 (8), 083108 (2015). DOI:10.1063/1.4913762
(22) J. Yang, S. Esconjauregui*, H. Sugime, T. Makaryan, T. Hallam, G.S. Duesberg, and J. Robertson,
"Comparison of carbon nanotube forest growth using AlSi, TiSiN, and TiN as conductive catalyst supports," Phys. Status Solidi B251 (12), 2389-2393 (2014). DOI:10.1002/pssb.201451162
(21) H. Sugime*, S. Esconjauregui, L. D'Arsié, J. Yang, T. Makaryan, and J. Robertson,
"Growth kinetics and growth mechanism of ultra-high mass density carbon nanotube forests on conductive Ti/Cu supports," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces6 (17), 15440-15447 (2014). DOI:10.1021/am504048h
A schematic of growth mechanism of ultra-high mass density carbon nanotube forests and the smallest patterning of the carbon nanotube forests grown at 450 °C on conductive supports
(20) J. Yang, S. Esconjauregui*, R. Xie, H. Sugime, T. Makaryan, L. D'Arsié, D.L.G. Arellano, S. Bhardwaj, C. Cepek, and J. Robertson,
"The effect of oxygen plasma alumina treatment on the growth of carbon nanotube forests," J. Phys. Chem. C118 (32), 18683-18692 (2014). DOI:10.1021/jp5022196
(19) T. Makaryan*, S. Esconjauregui, M. Goncalves, J. Yang, H. Sugime, D. Nille, P. Renganathan, P. Goldberg, and J. Robertson,
"Hybrids of carbon nanotube forests and gold nanoparticles for improved surface plasmon manipulation," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces6 (8), 5344-5349 (2014). DOI:10.1021/am501863g
(18) F.B. Michaelis, R.S. Weatherup, B.C. Bayer, M.C.D. Bock, H. Sugime, S. Caneva, J. Robertson, J.J. Baumberg, and S. Hofmann*,
"Co-catalytic absorption layers for controlled laser-induced chemical vapor deposition of carbon nanotubes," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces6 (6), 4025-4032 (2014). DOI:10.1021/am405460r
(17) S. Esconjauregui*, S. Bhardwaj, J. Yang, C. Castellarin-Cudia, R. Xie, L. D'Arsié, T. Makaryan, H. Sugime, S.E. Fernandez, C. Cepek, and J. Robertson,
Carbon nanotube forest grown at 450 °C on conductive supports with the highest mass density (1.6 g cm-3)
(14) H. Sugime and S. Noda*,
"Cold-gas chemical vapor deposition to identify the key precursor for rapidly growing vertically-aligned single-wall and few-wall carbon nanotubes from pyrolyzed ethanol," Carbon50 (8), 2953-2960 (2012). DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2012.02.065
(13) D.Y. Kim, H. Sugime, K. Hasegawa, T. Osawa, and S. Noda*,
"Combinatorial surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy and spectroscopic ellipsometry of silver island films," J. Phys. Chem. C113 (12), 4820-4828 (2009). DOI:10.1021/jp8097654
(6) H. Sugime, S. Noda*, S. Maruyama, and Y. Yamaguchi,
"Multiple "optimum" conditions for Co-Mo catalyzed growth of vertically aligned single-walled carbon nanotube forests," Carbon47 (1), 234-241 (2009). DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2008.10.001
(5) Y. Shiratori, H. Sugime, and S. Noda*,
"Combinatorial evaluation for field emission properties of carbon nanotubes," J. Phys. Chem. C112 (46), 17974-17982 (2008). DOI:10.1021/jp807078h
(4) K. Hasegawa, S. Noda*, H. Sugime, K. Kakehi, S. Maruyama, and Y. Yamaguchi,
"Growth window and possible mechanism of millimeter-thick single-walled carbon nanotube forests," J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol.8 (11), 6123-6128 (2008). DOI:10.1166/jnn.2008.SW17
(3) Y. Shiratori, K. Furuichi, S. Noda*, H. Sugime, Y. Tsuji, Z. Zhang, S. Maruyama, and Y. Yamaguchi,
"Field emission properties of single-walled carbon nanotubes with a variety of emitter-morphologies," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.47 (6), 4780-4787 (2008). DOI:10.1143/JJAP.47.4780
(2) S. Noda*, K. Hasegawa, H. Sugime, K. Kakehi, Z. Zhang, S. Maruyama, and Y. Yamaguchi,
"Millimeter-thick single-walled carbon nanotube forests: hidden role of catalyst support," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.46 (17), L399-L401 (2007). (Express Letter) DOI:10.1143/JJAP.46.L399
(1) S. Noda*, H. Sugime, T. Osawa, Y. Tsuji, S. Chiashi, Y. Murakami, and S. Maruyama,
"A simple combinatorial method to discover Co-Mo binary catalysts that grow vertically aligned single-walled carbon nanotubes," Carbon44 (8), 1414-1419 (2006). DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2005.11.02
(3) C.F. Moldovan, K. Gajewski, M. Tamagnone, R.S. Weatherup, H. Sugime, A. Szumska, W. Vitale, and J. Robertson, A. M. Ionescu,
"Spatial variability in large area single and few-layer CVD graphene,"
EUROSOI-ULIS 2015 - Joint International EUROSOI Workshop and International Conference on Ultimate Integration on Silicon, D83, 85-88 (2015).
(2) J. Robertson, H. Sugime, S. Esconjaurequi, G. Zhong, C. Zhang, R. Xie, and B. Chen
"Carbon Nano-materials as VLSI Interconnects,"
International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials, C-5-1 (2013). DOI:10.7567/SSDM.2013.C-5-1
(1) K. Furuichi, Y. Shiratori, K. Sekiguchi, H. Sugime, and S. Noda,
"A 1-sec Implementation of CNT-Emitter Arrays on Glasses for BLUs,"
Digest of Technical Papers - Society for Information Display International Symposium, 40(Bk. 1), 139-141 (2009).
(4) S. Noda, D.Y. Kim, T. Osawa, H. Sugime, K. Hasegawa, and E. Haba,
"Method and apparatus for simultaneously producing carbon nanotubes and hydrogen,"
PCT Int. Appl. (2011), WO 2011/030821 A1, 20110317.
(3) S. Noda, K. Furuichi, Y. Shiratori, Y. Tsuji, and H. Sugime,
"Field emission device having slit structure and protruding carbon nanotube emitter,"
Jpn. Kokai Tokkyo Koho (2009), JP2009245672, 20091022.
(2) S. Noda, H. Sugime, Y. Yamaguchi, T. Ohsawa, K. Kakei, K. Hasegawa, and D.Y. Kim,