Toru Ishida (Professor)
School of Creative Science
Building 60, Room 105, 3-4-1
Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
TEL 81 3 5286 2508
In terms of academics, I was a research scientist at NTT Laboratories, professor at Kyoto University, visiting scientist/professor at Columbia University, Technische Universität München, Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6, University of Maryland, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Tsinghua University, Xinjiang University, and Hong Kong Baptist University. I was a project leader at NTT Communication Science Laboratories from 1998 to 2004 and at the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) from 2006 to 2010. I was an Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Web Semantics (Elsevier) and an Associate Editor of IEEE PAMI. I am a fellow of IEEE, IPSJ, and IEICE since 2002, 2005, and 2008, respectively. In 2011, I was the President of IEICE Information and Systems Society (IEICE-ISS), and a vice president of IEICE from 2014-2015. I was a research supervisor of JST PRESTO Information Environments and Humans, and a member of Science Council of Japan from 2011–2017.
My research interest lies in autonomous agents and multiagent systems, and I have been researching on this for more than 20 years. I have worked toward various conferences on autonomous agents and multiagent systems, including MACC/JAWS (Japanese), PRIMA (Asia/Pacific), and ICMAS/AAMAS (International). I have served as a Program Co-Chair of the second ICMAS, a Chair of the first PRIMA, and a General Co-Chair of the first AAMAS. I was an Associate Editor for the journal on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (Springer), and a board member of the International Foundation for Autonomous Agent and Multiagent Systems (IFAAMAS).
I have been working on action research projects, including Digital City Kyoto, Intercultural Collaboration Experiments, and Language Grid. I started a project on Digital City Kyoto in 1998. The portal site was opened until 2001. I initiated an Intercultural Collaboration Experiment (ICE) with Chinese, Korean, and Malaysian colleagues in 2002, a year after 9.11. In 2006, I began a project to create an online language service infrastructure. Since 2007, the Language Grid has been operated by the Department of Social Informatics, Kyoto University. Until now, 170 groups from 22 countries have joined the Language Grid to share more than 220 language services.
I created the Kyoto University Design School with my colleagues in Informatics, Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Management, and Psychology. The school became operational in April 2013. Currently, in Waseda University, I am working on designing a required workshop series called Social and Human Innovation by Practical Science and Engineering (SHIP) for the newly-created international course.
Last Update: Dec 2019
Previous Research Activities
1. Toru Ishida Ed. Field Informatics. Kyoto University Field Informatics Research Group. Springer, 2012.
2. Toru Ishida Ed. The Language Grid: Service-Oriented Collective Intelligence for Language Resource Interoperability. Springer, 2011.
3. Toru Ishida Ed. Culture and Computing: Computing and Communication for Crosscultural Interaction. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6259, Springer-Verlag, 2010.
4. Toru Ishida and Katherine Isbister Eds. Digital Cities: Experiences, Technologies and Future Perspectives. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, State-of-the-Art Survey, 1765, Springer-Verlag, 2000.
5. Toru Ishida. Real-Time Search for Learning Autonomous Agents. Springer-Verlag, 1997.
6. Toru Ishida. Parallel, Distributed and Multiagent Production Systems. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 878, Springer-Verlag, 1994.
1. Toru Ishida, Yohei Murakami, Donghui Lin,.Takao Nakaguchi and Masayuki Otani. Language Service Infrastructure on the Web: The Language Grid. IEEE Computer, Vol. 51, Issues 6, pp. 72-81, 2018.
2. Toru Ishida, Tetsuo Sawaragi, Kumiyo Nakakoji and Takushi Sogo. Interdisciplinary Education for Design Innovation. IEEE Computer, Vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 44-52, 2017.
3. Toru Ishida. Intercultural Collaboration Using Machine Translation. IEEE Internet Computing, pp. 26-28, 2010.
4. Toru Ishida and Hiromitsu Hattori. Participatory Technologies for Designing Ambient Intelligence Systems. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, IOS Press, Vol. 1, pp. 39-45, 2009.
5. Toru Ishida. Q: A Scenario Description Language for Interactive Agents. IEEE Computer, Vol.35, No. 11, pp. 54-59, 2002.
6. Toru Ishida. Digital City Kyoto: Social Information Infrastructure for Everyday Life. Communications of the ACM (CACM), Vol. 45, No. 7, pp. 76-81, 2002.
7. Toru Ishida. Towards Communityware. New Generation Computing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 5-21, 1998.
8. Toru Ishida. Real-Time Search for Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems. Journal of Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.139-167, 1998.
9. Toru Ishida. Real-Time Bidirectional Search: Coordinated Problem Solving in Uncertain Situations. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, pp. 617-628, 1996.
10. Toru Ishida and Richard E. Korf. Moving-Target Search: A Real-Time Search for Changing Goals. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 609-619, 1995.
11. Toru Ishida, Yutaka Sasaki, Keiko Nakata and Yoshimi Fukuhara. A Meta-Level Control Architecture for Production Systems. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 7, No.1, pp. 44-52, 1995.
12. Toru Ishida. An Optimization Algorithm for Production Systems. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 549 - 558, 1994.
13. Toru Ishida, Les Gasser and Makoto Yokoo. Organization Self-Design of Distributed Production Systems. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 123-134, 1992.
14. Toru Ishida. Parallel Firing of Production System Programs. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 3, No.1, pp. 11-17, 1991.